Friday, November 12, 2010

hysteria

Today, a task was given to me which was to perform an act of "hysteria" for afternoon tutorial class. Topics given were very interesting. All related to culture-bound psychiatric problems e.g. Latah, Amok, Trance, Hysteria and Koro.

I am very much familiar with hysteria as it is very common in boarding school and camps. Hence, they asked me to demonstrate..pfffftt.. !

First of, let me start with hysteria as general. We all , or at least most of us believe that hysteria is due to an external spirit which enters one's body and causes that person to act violently, aggressively & out of control.

But actually, hysteria is not due to outer spirits. It is purely psychological. It is due to over-stressed and uncontrolled emotions which lead oneself to exert in such violent manner. That is why, it is very common in boarding school, among factory workers and at camp sites.

I remembered one of my friend told me when a hysteria was going on, that I should not go near if I'm not strong. "Because the spirit is able to jump from one person to another person especially into the weaker ones."

After learning psychiatry, and put a little logic of what my friend was once told me, it is not due to spirit jumping around. Simply because, if you're not strong, you may exert the same way as your friend did. You and the "hysteria" person is staying at the same place with same people doing the same daily activity , hence the stress factors might be the same.

I really feel hysteria is a way of getting the attention of others. No offence

And how they handled it , usually by reciting religious words from the Book they practiced , hoping to cure that person and make the spirit goes away. Psychiatric speaking, there is no spirit in hysteria. And this method of treatment is a way to actually calm that person.

Another way to treat is to remove the hysteric person from the group, to avoid mass hysteria.

If you have seen one, you might realized that it always occur prior to major examinations. And, don't get hysteria wrong from 'rasuk' . It is different. I think.


I acted well and definitely was proud of myself. I was worried if I might make a fool out of myself, but I did not. I tried my best to remember what I saw in 5 to 10years back, and get the "stress" aura.

I was definitely worried if I might scare them off. Hence, gave them warning before-hand- "this is going to be violent, and loud. Please be prepared" ..

Some of them start covering their ears, scared I might blow their ear drums. Some start laughing. and some just waiting...

I tried to concentrate. "I really need to do this well. If not, they wouldn't feel how i felt when i saw hysteria" ..

When I start acting, all kept quite. One of them laughed , I don't know why this friend of mine exert quite inappropriate affect. So, I scare him with a stare and asked him a question in a different, angry voice. " APA KAU BUAT KAT SINI !!! " He got scared ! hehe..

mission accomplished !
My friend took video of me, but somehow the video went missing after I acted.......................................................

No comments: