Thursday, April 26, 2012

Health is not Cheap

I am not a politician nor a fanatic. But that does not mean I do not care.

I had a lunch with my dad last week and the topic about politic
suddenly emerged. He questioned where the money goes.

I honestly would not know the details since I am not the government
accounts or audit, but being a healthcare personnel, I do know what
government has contributed to the society.

Hospital Ampang is the Hematology centre (blood diseases centre). And
government has invested dimes for patient undergoing transplantation
surgery. You wouldn't want to know the cost. A lot a lot a lot.

Being a malaysian itself , you get some discount when undergoing
treatment in the government. A lot of treatments and medications we
give for free for malaysians.

And most malaysians come to the government because they are not able
to support private. And some go home without paying bills.. Because
they unable to do so..

What's worst is when some others were from foreigners (indon, bangla,
burmese) tHat do not have tHe priviledge but did not pay too!

So where did the money go? - To support Malaysians undergoing some
minor treament and medication for free, vaccination for babies and
childrens, antenatal care, and support people who couldn't afford to
pay PLUS for these NON Malaysians too.

Social welfare which is also under government has done a lot to help
malaysians in need for financial support.

My dad also questioned why government servants get extra priviledge..

I told him, because we serviced the government. And government has
promised us these priviledges. I told him that healthcare priviledges
does not account for only me , but also for my family which also
includes my parents .. until I pensioned, then priviledge only goes to
my husband and kids ..

When he heard he gets the priviledge as well, he kept quiet and smiled.

Just now I was viewing patients in CCU and one patient defaulted
follow up in Serdang Hospital (cardiology centre) because she cannot
support financially. And now she came to hospital due to another heart
attack.

She was supposed to undergo angiogram with stent insertion and do you
want to know how much these procedure cost in serdang hospital? Equal
to Proton. And if in IJN, it doubles. And now, she is searching help
from social welfare ( *tears of pity*)

Who ever said health is cheap?
And because of these advantages, I would think twice if I were to
leave government.

I don't blame my dad or other Malaysians who sometime questioned where
did the money go. But I can only explained in terms of healthcare
sector, which is never cheap.

We moarned with taxes that we have to pay but the tax money has done
good for the healthcare point of view.

1 comment:

ffh said...

Agreed. Unfortunately, many people do not see the same way we see maybe due to no experience or they prefer to believe what they read and offered by the media?