Saturday, March 26, 2011

to understand is to read..

As I grew older, from a teenager to adolescent to young adult, I started to have deep thoughts about everything. It started of when my non-muslim friends asked me about Islam. Some I could answer, but most are with gaps and holes and with a "maybe" ..

I dislike myself. Its my religion and why am I not well equipped?

I prayed for guidance. I have so many questions in mind but hesitated to ask. A "maybe" is never my likening.

During my stay in Mekkah, on the 5th day, I went Subuh alone, since my mom headed early for Qiam. I saw my line was partially full hence I called these 2 ladies who were just about to sit behind my line, to sit next to me so that my line will not be empty.
After Subuh we chatted. I enjoyed talking to Aunty Nurul. She reminded me of my Bahasa Melayu tuition teacher when I was in primary 6. We chatted and mostly about Islam.

It started of with how Islam is actually simple and sometimes, the community makes it complicated. She added that she follows the Quran, Sunnah & authentic Hadith.

What attracts me was when she said,

" There is no 'maybe' in Islam. It is either yes, or no. And there is no need to do extra things. What is permitted for us to do, we do. example, Rasulullah (saw) washed his face once, twice or thrice but never 5 - 6 times. "

She added,
" what is more important than praying is to ponder upon Allah's creation & wonders. "

.. Her words just made me calmer and settled.

She recommended me a few books. The three of us went to the book shop after asar that day , and she adviced me to buy "Bulugh-Al-Maram" ..

I never heard of this book but it contains the Al - Quran, Sunnah Rasulullah (saw) and authentic hadith. I glanced tru it and every chapter about solat, fasting, water for purification, marriage & etc.. every single thing, day to day practice, is there.

I also bought Islamic guidelines on Medicine, a DVD of Syeikh Yusuf Estes, just one of the episode since I never heard of him but heard good reviews of him. And aunty Nurul also gave me a book for daily wirid as a gift. So sweet of her.

I've read Bulugh-Al-Maram. Not entirely, but few chapters of it.

Comments- A very very very good book ! It explains in details. A very good reference and guidance. Now, I have attained a little understanding on what I'm doing. Not just do for the sake of doing it. And most importantly, no more confusion between Religion & Tradition.

I would strongly adviced all Muslims and to those interested in Islam, to get that book. Bulugh al-Maram. You can get it in any Muslim Book shops e.g. dawah corner, PJ.

I am not pious. However, it is never wrong to learn and understand more. and I hope you would do the same ;)

Alhamdulillah, truly am glad to meet Aunty Nurul & Kak wan :)

2 comments:

crz said...

i wish i could love my God as much as u do yours

Ayya Henrietta said...

good post yana! cite lah pasal ur umrah. would love to know about it